Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Meal Planning

As everyone knows most of the cooking that takes place at my house is not done by me. My husband is an amazing cook and he enjoys it so much. However, I do know that cooking is an essential skill that I do need to have. I would also love to cook with my kids one day and pass on family recipes. I plan on jumping into the kitchen more and creating my own meals. I found this website that I believe will help. It is called Tasty Planner and with this website you can create a week full of meals. You pick the recipes from their huge database and they compile your shopping list. What a brilliant idea! I like having a recipe so that am more likely to cook something edible. HA! I want to start this next week, but tonight is Nick's birthday. I am using a recipe from Meghan's blog. It is called Buffalo Chicken Lasagna. Doesn't that sound amazing? So wish me luck in my cooking.

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
12 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles, uncooked
1 lb. Skinless Chicken Breast, cubed (i use more)
3 Cups Hunt’s Four Cheese Spaghetti Sauce
1 Cup Very Mild Buffalo Wing Sauce
1 1/2 Cups Water 15 oz. Nonfat Ricotta Cheese
1/2 Cup Egg Substitute
9 Slices 2% Pepperjack Cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Cook chicken over medium high heat for 4 minutes or until almost done. Stir in sauces and water. In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese and egg substitute. Spray a 9X13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 1 Cup of sauce in the bottom of pan. Arrange 4 noodles over the sauce. Spread more sauce, then a layer of ricotta mixture. Add another layer of sauce, and repeat the whole process until you end with a layer of sauce. Cover and bake 70 minutes. Uncover and place cheese slices on top, then bake for another 15 minutes uncovered. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.

Serves: 9 Per Serving: 285 Calories; 4g Fat (13.7% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 1710mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Lean Meat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. WWP: 5

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I am going to have to try the meal planning I hate trying to think of different stuff every week. Tell Nick Happy Birthday!