Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend Update

I hope that everyone had a fun and safe weekend!

Friday: We skipped out on our normal La Cabana. Nick and I brought his parents and relatives from Belgium to a German restaurant in town. The food was so good and the atmosphere was fun and relaxed. Then we went home and crashed. It was a long week!

Saturday: After saying goodbye to Roger and Simone, Nick and I did some work around the house. I also made some Sunny Cranberry Nut Bread! This recipe came from Kraft Foods website in the healthy living section. I changed the recipe some to make it even healthier.

Sunny Cranberry Nut Bread

Sunny Cranberry Nut Bread
Prep Time:
20 min
Total Time:
1 hr 35 min
Makes:
1 loaf, 16 servings
1 egg (I used egg beaters)
1 cup milk (I used skim milk)
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup oil
2 cups POST Raisin Bran Cereal
1-3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
1 Tbsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup PLANTERS Pecan Pieces
PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Beat egg, milk, orange peel, juice and oil in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Stir in cereal. Let stand 5 min. Meanwhile, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add cereal mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Stir in cranberries and pecans.
POUR into greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan.
BAKE 1 hour 15 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 min. in pan.; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.

Calories 150 Total fat 2.5 g Saturated fat 0 g Cholesterol 10 mg Sodium 130 mg CarbohydrateDietary fiber 1 g Sugars 15 g Protein 3 g


* Mine did not take the full 1 hour and 15 mins. It only took about an hour.

Later that night we at out with some friends (Jeff and Joy and little baby Ethan) that were town for the weekend. They came over and hung out for a while. I was in heaven because I got to hold Ethan the whole time!

Sunday: After church I met my parents and ate lunch. It is my dad's birthday tomorrow, so we had to celebrate a day early. Then I went to Joy's shower for Ethan. She got some really cute things. It made me want a baby even more. :) After coming home Nick and I made this AMAZING pasta. It was so yummy and very easy. This was found on Cooking Light website.

Farfalle with Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce

Farfalle with Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce

This recipe scored high in our Test Kitchens for its rich flavor and ultracreamy texture. The exotic mushroom blend, a combination of shiitake, cremini, and oyster mushrooms, is sold in eight-ounce packages. If unavailable, you can use all cremini mushrooms.


Ingredients

1 pound uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
1 tablespoon butter
12 ounces presliced exotic mushroom blend
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Minced fresh parsley (optional)

Preparation

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, shallots, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cook 12 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Add the cooked pasta, whipping cream, cheese, and 2 tablespoons parsley, tossing gently to coat. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Garnish with minced fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield

8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

Nutritional Information

CALORIES 336(31% from fat); FAT 11.4g (sat 6.9g,mono 3.1g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 12.1g; CHOLESTEROL 36mg; CALCIUM 124mg; SODIUM 577mg; FIBER 2.3g; IRON 2.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 47.5g

4 comments:

Mandy said...

What a fun weekend!! That pasta looks so good! I might have to try that sometime!

I hate that Nick's family had to leave! I love when you get to see family that lives far away, but I HATE seeing them go!!

Amy said...

Robyn,
That pasta looks amazing. You know I'm a huge pasta fan. Can't wait to cook that.

Julia said...

I love that pasta! I make it all the time...except Hayden said I burned him out on it. haha!

Meg said...

I hear ya on the yoga. I really should do that everyday. Especially since I'm trying to firm up. I'm so lazy once I get home. Chores are hard enough without incorporating exercise. lol..