Monday, February 23, 2009

Andrew's Birth Story


I have start by saying thank you for all your sweet comments! I loved reading them. Andrew is sleeping so I am going to attempt to write his birth story as quickly as possible. So Enjoy!

Tuesday night I went to the hospital, got admitted, and was given cervadil, and an IV. I was also checked to see if I was dilated and at that point I was still 2 to 3 cm but thinning out a lot.

Wednesday morning I was checked again and still the same. I was then brought into the birthing room and given pitocin. Well all, you know what, broke lose and the contractions came fast and strong. They started coming 5 mins and then 1 min apart. I was waiting for the epidural and I thought I was dying! I ended waiting for the epidural for about 1 hour and half and went from 4cm to 8cm. I guess I now know why I was in pain. Then the most wonderful man in the world came in a gave me the epidural (which did not hurt at all) and the pain became manageable. I could still feel the contractions and they still hurt, but they were 100 times better than before. Then very soon after the epidural the nurse checked me and I was 10 cm dilated and ready to push!! I pushed for a little over an hour and let me tell you- it was exhausting. Not painful but I literally thought I was going to fall alseep between contractions. When the doctor finally came in I only pushed a few more times and Andrew arrived!

I have to take a minute and tell you how wonderful Nick was! Thinking about it makes me want to cry. He did not leave my side for one minute. He feed me ice chips and let me squeeze his hand till I thought I was going to break it. The enitre time at the hospital he was there for me. He jumped every time I needed anything and he still is! I love him more now than ever!

Anyway sorry for all the sappy stuff. When Andrew arrived he came out screaming and they handed him right to me. It was the best moment of my life! When they toke him to clean him I got to experience my very first stitches. Yes I tore, but not too bad. I think I may be finally getting over the pain from that. Andrew was 7 lbs and 2 1/2 oz. and 20 inches long and perfect.

The stay in the hosiptal was actually great. I had the BEST nurses in the world the entire time I was there. I was very well taken care of! We finally left Friday morning and it was a great moment to start our lives together in our home.



On the way home!


Finally home
Duncan loves Andrew!

First bath at home

19 comments:

Katie said...

He is so beautiful! What a great birth story- and I like all the sappy stuff :)

I LOVED staying in the hospital! I had an emergency c-section, so I was there for 5 nights and it was like perfect hotel experience- minus the awful pain.

Oh, and oddly enough, those were my first stitches in my life, too!

Glad you're home and happy with baby Andrew, nothing beats it.

carla said...

Hi from Oklahoma, I loved your story and I wasn't given anything for pain in 1977 when my Joey was born so I know what you speak of.LOL! Isn't it funny how you forget about that the moment they hand you see that beautiful baby? Next to my cowboy of 38 years [this Sept.3] my three children and 4 grandchildren are my heart. God Bless you all and I was so glad to see your post and pics today. Hugs carla

carla said...

Me again from Oklahoma, it's Monday LOL!!! I meant "when they hand you that beautiful baby and you see him". My hands type faster than my brain on Mondays.....ya think? Hugs carla

boo.mama said...

The top picture of Andrew is precious! I love his expression.

You look great! So glad you had a good experience. I can't wait to see you guys sometime!

And I had my first bout with stitches this week too. :(

Mandy said...

He is just too cute! I have to say...those were my first stiches too but I tore really bad and had to have A LOT! I'm glad you are starting to feel better! I can't wait to see more pictures of him, he is such a pretty little guy!

Meg said...

awww I am so glad you posted the birth story! He is sooooo adorable, makes me enjoy having a boy even more! Take care! I know you got a great hubby.

Lynde said...

That is such a wonderful story. I am sorry you had to experience the pitocin. I am scared of it! LOL. I know you are enjoying every minute of this and keep doing so because The days are long but the years are short. I didn't fully understand that until Abryelle's 5th birthday. I am so happy for both of you. I know everyone was so excited to finally meet him. God Bless you and your beautiful family!

cartla2 said...

awwww he is sooo cute and tiny! i love tiny babies, and i am happy you had a good delivery,and everything went well!

BK said...

Oh my gosh, Robyn, he's just gorgeous, he seriously couldn't be any cutier!!! I'm so glad that yall are at home. Yall are the cutest little family!!! Congrats again!!!

Jenna said...

He is adorable... and looks so grown up with those eyes always open!

Amy said...

You are so right about Nick, I told Michael to take notes!!!!! He was WONDERFUL!!! I was so impressed!! Andrew is just so precious! I hope you continue to do well. Can't wait to see lil' man again!!!

MiMi said...

Andrew is adorable! Love that first picture of him! So precious!

Glad ya'll are all doing so well!

Jenna said...

Congrats on your beautiful boy!

writing4612 said...

Aww...he's beautiful! That was so sweet of your husband.

I know you're glad to be home.

Katie said...

He is precious! I am SO thankful he is here safe and healthy.

You look wonderful!!

Harris Family said...

He really is beautiful!!! I am glad you had such a good experience (especially once you got the epidural). It is a huge fear I am not going to be able to get it or that it will not work! Keep posting!

I am glad you guys are home. I hope you are loving every bit of being a mommy!

Carrie said...

He is beautiful!

AshleySauls said...

I'm so glad you posted Andrew's birth story! Those contractions are AWFUL, the worst pain ever, but are SO worth it! Andrew is very lucky to have you and Nick as his parents! Congrats, again!

The Dorns said...

Im so jealous!!!! I cant wait to hold my son, only 61 more days.

Your son is very cute he is so alert already. He looks like hes is a month old in gthe up close pics but the pic of you holding him he is so teeny.

I hope our yorkie loves the new baby. She always howls when she hears a kid cry so I think it will be loud in our house

Enjoy every second I hear it goes by tooooo fast