Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!


Happy Pi Day to all you Math geeks!! For those of you who don’t know, I teach Math and Science to 5th graders. I introduce students to Pi for the first time. How lucky am I?? I know! Anyway, we use Pi to teach area and circumference of a circle. Today is March (3) and the date is the 14th…get it 3.14!
Teachers like to have fun whenever possible, so we turn the day into a real treat! During class, we measure the radius and diameter of a pie crust. Then we calculate area and circumference of the crust. Later in the day, we get wonderful parent volunteers to fill the crust with ice cream and toppings. The students get to enjoy a slice of PI! This activity really helps the concept to stick and they remember the formula for the BIG test. So celebrate Pi day and have a slice of pie!!

We have been enjoying some very nice days in Georgia! Today was so warm and I am LOVING it! Andrew and I enjoying playing outside for awhile when I get home.
Here he is drawing an airplane….I can totally see it!
DSC00090-1(rev 1)             DSC00092-1(rev 1)
Enjoy!

No comments: