Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sleep

We all need it, but most do not get enough. I was not getting enough. A change had to happen and quick.

Abigail was outgrowing her pack and play. She would sleep in it for a few hours at night and that was it. She was slowly easing her way into our bed. I have been down that path with Andrew. He slept with us until he was 18 months old. I didn’t mind with him because he actually slept well in our bed and never really moved during the night. Abigail was not sleeping well in our bed. A change was coming….LOL!

3 nights ago we were determined Abigail was going to sleep upstairs in her crib. This is the AMAZING progress in only 3 nights. Let me start off by saying that Abigail rarely took naps in her crib. Her crib was almost foreign to her. She was napping in her pack and play in our room. Having a little brother constantly moving around did not lend itself to a good restful nap.

Night 1: Abigail was sick…what was I thinking?! She was very congested and coughing. We started our new bedtime routine of bath, bottle, lay down. We laid her down and she cried hysterically…I mean really bad. I let her cry for 15 mins and went in to rock her. Laid her down again and then the same hysterical cry. This went on for about 2 hours. Then I gave up…she was sick and I believe scared of the new room.

Day 2: Abigail took short naps in her crib, but cried for at least 10 mins each time.

Night 2: The routine remained the same- bath, bottle, lay down. She cried again…for 30 solid minutes. This was the hardest thing ever! She was on medicine now and the coughing was gone. I watched her in the monitor the entire time, so I know she was fine. She fell asleep and slept for a few hours. She woke every 2 hours crying. I would go in and give her the paci back. She would see me and start crying. So hard! Finally around 4am, I picked her up and gave her a bottle. We than slept on the couch till 8am.

Day 3: Abigail took all naps in her crib and only cried for maybe 5 mins. Sometimes she didn’t cry at all. Her naps were getting longer.

Night 3: We continued the routine. Nick gave her the bottle and laid her down with NO crying!!! She slept from 7:30-2 am. She couldn’t find her paci, so I went up and gave it back to her. She saw me and did not cry! She turned over and went back to sleep. Miracle! She had restless sleep for the next several hours. Not really crying, but whining and moving around a lot. I picked her up and fed her around 5am.

Day 4 (today): So far, things are going great! She is on her second nap. She is no longer crying and sleeping for a couple hours at a time.

I am so glad we did this! I think it is better for the both of us. I wish I would have done it earlier. I hope that tonight continues to get even better.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Aw, so glad it's working out! That's a really hard transition!

Robyn Beele said...

Oh yes it is!

Amanda Butler said...

I hope things are still going well with Abigail's sleeping! I love reading your stories about her...it's neat to watch our babies develop together since they're so close in age. Looks like you had a lovely holiday break with your sweet family!