Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year’s Collard Greens

Collard Greens Collage

 

Here in the South we love black eyed peas and collard greens on New Year’s day!  The greens represent money and the peas represent coins.  Of course eating them will make you RICH!  LOL! Just kidding!  I used to force myself to eat one bite of each when I was little because I just knew it would magically add more pennies to my piggy bank.  Hmmm…that never really happened. 

Now I LOVE collard greens and peas are growing on me.  Nick makes the BEST collard greens ever!  I mean they are seriously good!  He says it is his “secret” recipe and I should not share.  Well I will give you some hints.  This is a very basic recipe…I think I could even do this…maybe.

He used fresh collards this year, but mainly because he could not find the prewashed and chopped bagged ones.  Poor thing spent over an hour cleaning and cutting these babies!

collards bag

It looks like a ton, but it will cook down to a reasonable amount. We feed 6 adults and had leftovers.  You will then need to cut one sweet onion, one jalapeno pepper, and lots of thick cut bacon.  collard ingred

Brown the bacon in a large pot, then add the jalapeno and onion.  Pour in one can of beer (any kind will do), add some Cajun seasoning,  and pour in the greens.  Let this simmer for 5-6 hours. 

close upIMG_0500

We took the collard greens to Nick’s parents for New Year’s supper.  It was a great start to the new year!! I hope everyone had a fantastic New Year’s!

No comments: